Gustafsviks herrgårdGustafsviks herrgårdGustafsviks herrgårdFrom Västervik to Gustafsvik

Gustafsvik manor located in Kristinehamn was originally called Västervik, but received its present name after a visit by King Gustav III 1772. It played a part in Swedish national history.

Cultural history and wonderful nature on the west side of the bay Varnumsviken in Lake Vänern. This is the site of Gustafsvik Manor.

Gustafsviks herrgårdThe actual Manor house burned to the ground in the late 1960s, but the sidebuildings remain. 

A love story

Gustafsviks herrgård

Lieutenant-colonel Georg Adlersparre started a revolt against king Gustav IV Adolf in 1809. On his way from Karlstad to Stockholm with the army Adlersparre was invited to Gustafsvik by the owner C.A Linroth to Gustavsvik. During his visit Adlersparre (at that time 49 years old) fell in love with the 24 year old daughter, Lovisa Linroth. In the autumn of year 1809 they were married and became owners to Gustafsvik. In the year of 1819, their fourth son, Rudolf, was born. He later overtook Gustafsvik and was the one who organised a romantic english park and a graveyard for the family Adlersparre.

The last period of greatness

Gustafsviks last days of glory was during the period when CG Platin owned the property. Platin was a wine merchant who bought the manor in the year of 1886. In 1893 the son Otto hired the architect Isak Gustaf Clason who had drawn both Mårbacka and The Northern Museum earlier. The Manor Gustafsvik was renovated and got the look of a castle with three floors and over 20 rooms. The main building also got a clock tower and the sidebuildings got domes with spires on top.

The municipality of Kristinehamn takes over the manor

In the year of 1957 Kristinehamns Municipality acquired Gustafsvik from the last private owner Gyllenberg. The intention was to complement Kroksviks oil terminals with industries. None of this came to be and the historic Manor and the park gradually decayed for 10 years. On the Walpurgis Night 1967 the manor house burnt down to the ground. Even though the building was insured it was not rebuilt. The insurance money was instead used to renovate one of the buildings close to Wahlundsgården in Kristinehamn.

1994 The Association of Cultural Buildings in Kristinehamn suggested that Architectural camps could be located in the sidebuildings of Gustafsvik. The idea was approved by the Swedish Association for architecture and supported by the National Heritage Board (RAA), Kristinehamns municipality and the County Administrative Board of Värmland. Architectural camps were held here for two weeks each summer during the years 1994-2000.

Even the park has been restored. This thanks to the landscape architect Åsa Bemark Wilke, who in her thesis wrote the report "Gustavsvik, the story of a Wermlandian manor, its parks and gardens." The report led to park and garden restorations becoming part of the Architectural camp activities. The municipality has since followed up this work through a management plan for Varnumsvikens internal parts, Gustafsvik has now become a popular tourist destination.

Nature and wildlife

The society for nature conservation performed a floral inventory 1995. It showed that within the area grew greater dodder, dwarf springonion, white wood-rush and the rare grass Broad-leaved Meadow-grass etc. There are also many species of trees and bushes and several old oak and lime trees. Also ash, beech, blue, peach, coastal pine, hazel and roses plus a number of ornamental bushes grow here. The park has an interesting fungal flora associated with the oaks and is quite rare in the area of Kristinehamn.

Several species of birds nest in the area. This includes Icterine Warbler, common whitethroat, horticulture and wood warbler and blackcap.

There are also woodpeckers here, the most common are Great spotted woodpecker, black woodpecker or Green woodpecker but even lesser spotted woodpecker visits the area.